Onboarding a new wealth management client is a time-consuming deal and due to the complexity and need for compliance, it certainly has the potential for risk.
So, what kind of challenges and risks are we looking at while on-boarding new wealth management customers:
1. Unstructured information from disparate documents: There's typically a significant amount of information that needs to be collected, organised and uploaded into new wealth management firm’s line of business system. To make matters worse, this information is typically provided in disparate, difficult to process unstructured formats; paper-based statements or at best - PDF or excel spreadsheets.
2. Customer Due Diligence : Wealth management companies are obliged to perform customer due diligence in the form of KYC and AML processes before any transactions can be made. These CDD processes are time-consuming and can only be undertaken by qualified individuals.
3. High Expectations : New clients move to new wealth management firms for many reasons and customer service is likely to be high on the list. As on-boarding is one of the first the first processes the new client will experience, it’s critical that it’s as pain-free and transparent as possible. Put another way, there’s a high focus on Customer Experience (CX). For this reason, the process needs to be super-easy, super-fast and as frictionless as possible.
4. Loss in Productivity : The productivity of expensive human talent (e.g. wealth managers and para-planners) is reduced when on-boarding processes are sub-optimal. Having to manually key data from documents into systems impacts profitability, increases cycle times, apart from introducing errors.
5. Low Operational Excellence : As evidenced by low re-work & high compliance rates, this aspect is difficult to attain in firms where on-boarding is either poorly implemented or highly prescribed, i.e. few options/flexibilities. Moreover, retaining good people is more challenging when processes are difficult to manage and involve manual processing and delays.
6. Unless on-boarding processes are 100% digital, routine and exceptions reporting are especially burdensome. Data security and protection is paramount; crippling fines are imposed on firms that fail compliance.
Customer Due Diligence (CDD) is a prescriptive process that can be successfully automated. For compliance purposes, it's essential that the CDD process is logged and audited, an area where automated solutions really excel.
Typical Solutions for On-boarding in an 'Intelligently-Automated' World
1. Digital 100% of the way using familiar devices and systems
- Where possible, adopt mobile-first strategy for client facing tasks. This includes submission of key documents as clients will be familiar with the task of 'snapping' a picture of a document. What's critical for excellent CX is near real-time confirmation such as - the correct document was submitted, and data accurately extracted. From an operational excellence perspective - no data should ever 'land' outside of the process
- Even when a client submits paper-based documents, Intelligent Automation will speedily convert these to digital form and critically, will also retain the look and feel of the document
- For documents that were 'born digital', the system will automatically utilise the data without additional processing. Documents can be submitted as PDF, MS Word and Excel as well as those in HTML forms
2. Augments tasks that need to be managed by human knowledge workers
- Complex processes such as on-boarding new wealth management clients require substantial tacit knowledge, and thus need to be managed & driven by experienced and qualified human talent
- However, mundane tasks within the process can and must be handed off to ‘digital assistants’ - this is the automation element
3. Providing high levels of ID & verification as a part of the process
- Documents submitted should be automatically checked and verified using internationally approved standards and methods
- Additional step such as the capture of a ‘selfie’ should be incorporated to increase the integrity of the data and processes
In Concise Words
For reasons that are somewhat obvious and described above, on-boarding new clients is a critical area for reasons of optimising 'customer experience' and ensuring high 'operational excellence'.
The cost of getting it wrong can be very severe - at best case poor team morale and potentially a lost customer, and worst case is a fine from the regulator with the associated reputational damage.
Clients expect a slick, frictionless experience so that they can quickly engage with Wealth Manager to ensure their financial future is secure - they do not want to suffer the pain of a broken or sub-optimal on-boarding process to cloud their decision making.
MORE FROM OUR BLOGS
Enabling Seamless Cross-Channel Customer Experience for a Global Telecom Service Provider
The brand was using Pitney Bowes Legacy CCM suite for generating utility bills for >100, 000 customers, segregated in 9 bill cycles. Changing business requirements demanded an automated bill generation mechanism, existing application unable to manage communications for a large customer database, leading to reduced data credibility, 'miss-outs' and communication delays
Streamlined print management & workflows to improve digital customer communications management for a leading postal services brand
Espire studied the customer's key business bottlenecks and deployed scalable Quadient-based solutions to fast-track business outcomes, Leveraged Inspire Designer to develop one-single platform for the CCM application & Replaced different composition tools with Inspire Designer and successfully carried out multiple migrations, which included Doc1 Series 4 and 5 applications, FormScape, Solimar applications to Quadient Inspire
Optimized data storage & accessibility with API-based integration for effective data management
Espire designed and implemented a solution architecture to build microservices based on API-led Integration layer for data flow among existing systems, the microservices-based architecture on the Mulesoft Integration Platform provided easy accessibility & reusability of data
Delivering multi-channel personalised CX for a leading government-owned electricity & gas distribution company in Singapore
A leading government-owned electricity and gas distribution company in Singapore, which specializes in providing sustainable energy solutions to all its customers required to upgrade OpenText Exstream from v9 to v16 for facilitating seamless customer communications across all touchpoint, needed to upgrade all supporting components like Exstream Designer, Design Manager, License Server, Live Editor and Command Center for efficient support, patches and upgrade
Automation of Print Stream for a Global Mail and Document Management System
The client was using latest folding / inserting equipment to automate the collation of mails including critical communications like outbound invoices, incoming payments and promotional mailings as well as payroll & vital employee communications.
Maximize your customer retention with an effective digital communications strategy
In the race of acquiring more and more customers, most digital-first businesses underestimate the power of customer communications for retaining existing customers. A robust digital communications strategy not only ensures a seamless customer onboarding, but also improves customer experience, thereby, increasing customer retention.
Digital transformation usecases for the insurance sector
There is a need for a holistic digital transformation in the insurance sector to offer innovative solutions, keep pace with changing social, technological, economic and environmental change and identify new opportunities in real time. From engagement, retention, selling, and servicing, digital transformation has the ability to bring a customer in direct correspondence with an insurance company
Espires top 10 webinars for fy20 21 a win win for us our partners and customers
With FY20-21 in hindsight, in this blog, we share a list of Espire’s top 10 webinars from the past financial year that resulted in win-win for us, our partners and our clients!
Customer communications management how espire has been delivering scalable solutions amid pandemic
At Espire, our commitment to combat the pandemic with a spirit of unity and resilience has helped our customers and business fraternity with uninterrupted service delivery, without compromising on health & safety of our employees.