One of the highlights of the newly released Sitecore Experience Platform (10.0) is that it brings support for rapid deployment and more efficient solution and team onboarding with modern Docker technology i.e. Sitecore Containers. Sitecore, with the launch of its Sitecore XP 10, will now be providing full support for deploying solutions in containerized environment. There are already excellent and detailed resources available online that cover the concepts of containers and Docker thoroughly. In this blog, we will briefly cover the overview of the topic and step-by-step installation of Sitecore 10 docker.
To run Docker on Windows 10, you will need the following:
- Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise version 1809 (2019 LTSC) or later
- Hyper-V enabled
- Docker Desktop Installed on Windows Desktop
- Docker Desktop support for windows containers
- 32 GB of RAM, Quad core Processor CPU
- Approximately 25GB of free disk space for Sitecore container images. SSD storage is highly recommended for optimal performance
- The default Sitecore container configuration uses specific ports. To avoid any conflicts, you should ensure the following ports are not being used by another process: 443, 8079, 8081, 8984, and 14330
- Env file
Once prerequisites are met, the installation itself is quite simple.
- Enable Windows Feature for Windows Containers:
- Run PowerShell as admin
- Run this command
- Powershell will prompt for system restart. Don’t do it yet
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName $(“Microsoft-Hyper-V”, “Containers”) -all
- Download and Install Docker Desktop for windows (Stable or Edge) from here
- Now restart Windows Desktop
- Right click docker icon in the right bottom panel, select "Switch to Windows containers"
- Download Sitecore 10 Container deployment package from dev.sitecore.net (needs Sitecore account)
- Copy and extract SitecoreContainerDeployment 10.0.0 rev. 004346-027.zip for e.g:- C:SitecoreXPDocker
- We’ll use the XP0 topology for this demo
- Add init.ps1 and docker-compose.yaml files (custom files)
- Open Powershell.exe (not ISE) as admin
- CD into the folder of Sitecore 10 Container Deployment Package and to the desired topology
- .\init.ps1 -LicenseXmlPath $licensePath –SitecoreAdminPassword $AdminPwd -SqlSaPassword $sqlPwd
- $licensePath is the path to a valid License.xml file
- This script will set up all the environment variables in .env file
- This should pull images from Sitecore Docker Repository
- After pull, extraction of images is complete. The containers will be deployed
Execute Docker-compose up - detach
The scripts should run for 20 mins and instance should be ready to use
Open Docker Dashboard and you should see Sitecore-XP0 running
Browse to CMS
How to get into wwwroot of docker containers?
- Execute this to get the list of containers:
- “Docker ps”
- Note the container name
- Execute this to take powershell session of the container
- docker exec -it $containerName powershell
How to log into SQL Server using SSMS?
- Note down the port number of SQL Container
- Open SSMS, Enter “localhost, portNumber” in server and login with sa credentials
Download Installation Guide
MORE FROM OUR BLOGS
Supporting & Building Digital Solutions for Improving Customer Experience
Espire upgraded their existing corporate website to Sitecore version 9.1 for streamlining navigation issues, upgraded their E-commerce platform for delivering personalized customer experiences, deployed Sitecore technical enhancements to improve development process like refactoring, Unicorn, Glass mapper and T4templates, Search etc
A Leading Offender Management Software Solution Provider Gains the Competitive Edge of Agility
The client is a leading provider of offender management product, catering to the Governments sector mainly to Canada, USA and UK. With the aim of becoming agile by automating the internal processes and modernizing the systems, the client decided to develop an application to assess their end-client’s business process environment.
Powering Digital Transformation by revamping Quote & Buy process for a UK based leading Insurance company
Espire enhanced the existing Digital Transformation Journey using Umbraco CMS,Designed and implemented Umbraco based system for content management of the forms and modules
Role of data analytics to drive customer acquisition and maximize return on campaigns
Creating a customer-centric digital marketing strategy that accurately targets and addresses your customers’ needs is essential for any business. However, this can be challenging when you lack the right tools and data to help you do it. In this article, we’ll be focusing on how you can use data analytics in your digital marketing efforts to acquire new customers and retain current ones.
Sitecore Symposium 2022 Check out latest updates and announcements
Sitecore made some huge announcements during the Sitecore Symposium 2022 event to continue their journey to build and help and their customer and brands to deliver standout CX through innovative solutions that drive results and build customer loyalty. Learn about all the announcements and updates now.
Sitecore managed cloud drive digital experiences at scale with cloud
Businesses have started investing in digital experience platforms and technologies aggressively to drive omni-channel digital experiences throughout the customer journey. Sitecore empowers businesses to host their different DXP products on cloud, Sitecore Managed Cloud helps them streamline system integration, enhance the speed of deployments while providing improved security and data privacy.
Global Customers Served
Years of Experience in Digital Transformation & Total Experience