One of the highlights of the newly released Sitecore Experience Platform (10.0) is that it brings support for rapid deployment and more efficient solution and team onboarding with modern Docker technology i.e. Sitecore Containers. Sitecore, with the launch of its Sitecore XP 10, will now be providing full support for deploying solutions in containerized environment. There are already excellent and detailed resources available online that cover the concepts of containers and Docker thoroughly. In this blog, we will briefly cover the overview of the topic and step-by-step installation of Sitecore 10 docker.
To run Docker on Windows 10, you will need the following:
- Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise version 1809 (2019 LTSC) or later
- Hyper-V enabled
- Docker Desktop Installed on Windows Desktop
- Docker Desktop support for windows containers
- 32 GB of RAM, Quad core Processor CPU
- Approximately 25GB of free disk space for Sitecore container images. SSD storage is highly recommended for optimal performance
- The default Sitecore container configuration uses specific ports. To avoid any conflicts, you should ensure the following ports are not being used by another process: 443, 8079, 8081, 8984, and 14330
- Env file
Once prerequisites are met, the installation itself is quite simple.
- Enable Windows Feature for Windows Containers:
- Run PowerShell as admin
- Run this command
- Powershell will prompt for system restart. Don’t do it yet
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName $(“Microsoft-Hyper-V”, “Containers”) -all
- Download and Install Docker Desktop for windows (Stable or Edge) from here
- Now restart Windows Desktop
- Right click docker icon in the right bottom panel, select "Switch to Windows containers"
- Download Sitecore 10 Container deployment package from dev.sitecore.net (needs Sitecore account)
- Copy and extract SitecoreContainerDeployment 10.0.0 rev. 004346-027.zip for e.g:- C:SitecoreXPDocker
- We’ll use the XP0 topology for this demo
- Add init.ps1 and docker-compose.yaml files (custom files)
- Open Powershell.exe (not ISE) as admin
- CD into the folder of Sitecore 10 Container Deployment Package and to the desired topology
- .\init.ps1 -LicenseXmlPath $licensePath –SitecoreAdminPassword $AdminPwd -SqlSaPassword $sqlPwd
- $licensePath is the path to a valid License.xml file
- This script will set up all the environment variables in .env file
- This should pull images from Sitecore Docker Repository
- After pull, extraction of images is complete. The containers will be deployed
Execute Docker-compose up - detach
The scripts should run for 20 mins and instance should be ready to use
Open Docker Dashboard and you should see Sitecore-XP0 running
Browse to CMS
How to get into wwwroot of docker containers?
- Execute this to get the list of containers:
- “Docker ps”
- Note the container name
- Execute this to take powershell session of the container
- docker exec -it $containerName powershell
How to log into SQL Server using SSMS?
- Note down the port number of SQL Container
- Open SSMS, Enter “localhost, portNumber” in server and login with sa credentials
Download Installation Guide
MORE FROM OUR BLOGS
Creating an automated online voting platform for seamless onboarding and improved Voter Experience
One of the major challenges faced by the customer was - conducting the cooperative elections amidst the nationwide lockdowns in the US as casting votes on a piece of paper was neither safe nor feasible. Espire built an online voting application to integrate all the three existing ways of voting in one place including: Online voting (through a website), SmartHub voting (through single sign-on), Paper ballot voting (which includes data entry and verification)
Designed a Centralized Content Management System for a Leading UK-based Staffing Business
A leading Global Talent Acquisition and Managed Workforce Solutions provider in the UK, needed support to centralize its content management for the 22+ acquired brands and required a simplified process for posting job openings & deploying regular enhancements for content management. Espire considering the challenges, reimplemented the front-end design framework for better performance, security and SEO optimization. We also redesigned the cloud architecture on Microsoft Azure to support constant enhancements required to centralize & manage enterprise & localized content.
Design & Development of a Responsive SharePoint Website For the holding company of Singapore’s public healthcare providers
The client manages the public healthcare system to ensure that good and affordable basic medical services are available to all Singaporeans.
Enhanced digital customer experiences for a leading Singapore headquartered transshipment hub
The customer's existing website was deployed on-premises and leveraged a WCM platform, Joomla they required a strategic technology partner to revamp the website, improve content delivery and website navigation with needed to map customer journey and access visitor analytics efficiently
Digital Communications and CCM Solutions 4 key initiatives to Improve Customer Experience
Digital communications help in stitching your prospect to customer journeys together by keeping them actively engaged and allowing them to re-initiate conversation from where they left off. Delivering contextual and interactive communications can help the customers take the next step and reach out to you through the channel convenient for them.
Total experience digital transformation strategy for global businesses
The Total Experience strategy has emerged as a key trend for businesses to drive better digital experiences for users, customers and employees while improving business growth
Digital experience management 5 best practices to improve customer experience on b2b websites
Customer Experience is at the heart of customer service and building long-lasting customer relationships. Customer experience will emerge as the key determinant of business success, surpassing the quality and price of products. While B2C brands have prioritized customer experience as a strategic business goal, B2B companies are yet to navigate their technology investments towards digital experience management.
Sitecore cdp optimization 5 steps for deploying customer data platform
The Customer Data Platform (CDP) has become a critical part of the modern technology stack, as a one-stop solution for data orchestration and management. Sitecore CDP comprises of all the core data management capabilities along with intelligent decisioning, predictive analytics, experimentation, and orchestration for driving positive brand experiences