One of the highlights of the newly released Sitecore Experience Platform (10.0) is that it brings support for rapid deployment and more efficient solution and team onboarding with modern Docker technology i.e. Sitecore Containers. Sitecore, with the launch of its Sitecore XP 10, will now be providing full support for deploying solutions in containerized environment. There are already excellent and detailed resources available online that cover the concepts of containers and Docker thoroughly. In this blog, we will briefly cover the overview of the topic and step-by-step installation of Sitecore 10 docker.
To run Docker on Windows 10, you will need the following:
- Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise version 1809 (2019 LTSC) or later
- Hyper-V enabled
- Docker Desktop Installed on Windows Desktop
- Docker Desktop support for windows containers
- 32 GB of RAM, Quad core Processor CPU
- Approximately 25GB of free disk space for Sitecore container images. SSD storage is highly recommended for optimal performance
- The default Sitecore container configuration uses specific ports. To avoid any conflicts, you should ensure the following ports are not being used by another process: 443, 8079, 8081, 8984, and 14330
- Env file
Once prerequisites are met, the installation itself is quite simple.
- Enable Windows Feature for Windows Containers:
- Run PowerShell as admin
- Run this command
- Powershell will prompt for system restart. Don’t do it yet
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName $(“Microsoft-Hyper-V”, “Containers”) -all
- Download and Install Docker Desktop for windows (Stable or Edge) from here
- Now restart Windows Desktop
- Right click docker icon in the right bottom panel, select "Switch to Windows containers"
- Download Sitecore 10 Container deployment package from dev.sitecore.net (needs Sitecore account)
- Copy and extract SitecoreContainerDeployment 10.0.0 rev. 004346-027.zip for e.g:- C:SitecoreXPDocker
- We’ll use the XP0 topology for this demo
- Add init.ps1 and docker-compose.yaml files (custom files)
- Open Powershell.exe (not ISE) as admin
- CD into the folder of Sitecore 10 Container Deployment Package and to the desired topology
- .\init.ps1 -LicenseXmlPath $licensePath –SitecoreAdminPassword $AdminPwd -SqlSaPassword $sqlPwd
- $licensePath is the path to a valid License.xml file
- This script will set up all the environment variables in .env file
- This should pull images from Sitecore Docker Repository
- After pull, extraction of images is complete. The containers will be deployed
Execute Docker-compose up - detach
The scripts should run for 20 mins and instance should be ready to use
Open Docker Dashboard and you should see Sitecore-XP0 running
Browse to CMS
How to get into wwwroot of docker containers?
- Execute this to get the list of containers:
- “Docker ps”
- Note the container name
- Execute this to take powershell session of the container
- docker exec -it $containerName powershell
How to log into SQL Server using SSMS?
- Note down the port number of SQL Container
- Open SSMS, Enter “localhost, portNumber” in server and login with sa credentials
Download Installation Guide
MORE FROM OUR BLOGS
Designed a Centralized Content Management System for a Leading UK-based Staffing Business
A leading Global Talent Acquisition and Managed Workforce Solutions provider in the UK, needed support to centralize its content management for the 22+ acquired brands and required a simplified process for posting job openings & deploying regular enhancements for content management. Espire considering the challenges, reimplemented the front-end design framework for better performance, security and SEO optimization. We also redesigned the cloud architecture on Microsoft Azure to support constant enhancements required to centralize & manage enterprise & localized content.
Design & Development of a Responsive SharePoint Website For the holding company of Singapore’s public healthcare providers
The client manages the public healthcare system to ensure that good and affordable basic medical services are available to all Singaporeans.
Enhanced digital customer experiences for a leading Singapore headquartered transshipment hub
The customer's existing website was deployed on-premises and leveraged a WCM platform, Joomla they required a strategic technology partner to revamp the website, improve content delivery and website navigation with needed to map customer journey and access visitor analytics efficiently
Accelerating digital experiences with powerful ui ux for leading industries
UI & UX has emerged as a mainstay when it comes to offering an engaging and easy-to-navigate website/user interface to users. A careful UI/UX design strategy can help in transforming the way organizations interact with their customers as well as their employees by making the platform more streamlined, agile, proactive, easy-to-use and intuitive. Moreover, it can help in increasing user retention, engagement, conversion rates and eventually better ROI.
Espire infolabs enhances search experience for acu wins searchstax partner excellence award 2021
The global leader in search experience management, SearchStax has recognized Espire Infolabs in the Partner Excellence Award 2021 (APAC) for assisting Australian Catholic University (ACU), transform its site search with SearchStudio and driving greater engagement and conversions.
Sitecore composable dxp multiexperience solutions for driving greater business outcomes
Espire is helping leading brands deploy Sitecore Composable DXP to deliver multiexperience and total experience solutions at scale. Sitecore is constantly adding cutting-edge tools and technologies to give marketers and developers the flexibility to compose their DXP platform to deliver total experience solutions at scale. Enterprises are prioritizing their move towards delivering multiexperience solutions to drive impeccable staff and customer experience.
Sitecore ordercloud top features and benefits for driving exceptional digital experiences
Sitecore’s OrderCloud is an API-first headless cloud platform which empowers brands to streamline key business operations like efficient order management, marketplace application integration and driving eCommerce experiences for customers. It seamlessly integrates with your brand’s existing technology stack to drive targeted customer communications and digital experiences across multiple touchpoints